Translate

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Move A Patient in Bed - How does the spouse sleep?


This may seem like a weird story but it’s true.  My husband with his Parkinson’s disease is not able to turn or move himself in bed.  (This lead to the creation of the Bed Sled).  But that’s another story. 
First I need to explain that we sleep together in a queen size bed. In the beginning of his diagnosis he was not able to settle to sleep unless I was cradling him.  After his drug dosages were worked out, his need for my touch subsided somewhat. But not completely. 
He will still during the night reach out to make sure I am in bed, that I have not left him alone.  It’s hard to sleep with this “touching” disturbance.   It’s nice to be needed but I need my sleep.   For the past couple years when he rolls in bed, because he does not have control of his arms or legs movement I was often times getting kicked or punched while trying to sleep. I found myself moving away from him and closer to the edge of the bed, sometimes hanging on “with my toenails”. 
When he would call during the night to roll him, I got out of bed, went around to his side and took hold of the Bed Sled pulling and rolling him in the direction he wanted to go. I would often not be able to fall back to sleep for a considerable time, if at all.
One night I tried laying a foam mattress on the floor alongside the bed. But with my bad knees it was difficult getting off the floor to answer his calls. So I was back in the bed.  Then I tried putting a clothes hamper up against the bed on my side, so if I rolled I had something to catch me. It helped but was very uncomfortable.
Also our dogs, Tippy and her brother Tobie, slept in the bedroom with us. So whatever I did I had to make sure I would not trip on the dogs when getting to him in the dark.  Now that both dogs are gone, and the cats sleep in the powder room, I can have a clear path on the floor.  So I moved my cedar chest up against my side of the bed, piled some extra bed pillows on top to bring it up level with the bed and am now sleeping on this “bed extension”.  Works pretty good actually.  I am able to sleep without falling out.  And when he wants to roll I don’t have to get out of bed most times.  I reach over and roll him without getting up from bed.  Occasionally I have to get out of bed to perform the roll, but most times not.  It’s not the easiest thing for me to get into bed now, but once I lay down its pretty comfortable.
Now when he rolls it is like a log roll, literally from one side of the bed to the other.  I don’t need to pull him over to make room for me.  I just make sure I get him into bed far enough when he is transferred into bed. So when I roll him towards his side of the bed later during the night he will not roll out. I still find him looking at me to make sure I am still in bed with him, because I am lying just outside his reach (unless he really stretches).  But now I can sleep better.  And to think I considered getting rid of the cedar chest because we don’t keep woolens anymore!
The point of this story is that nothing is stupid if it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment