Translate

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Update May 2012


This past month has been scary.  Don has been quiet, polite, subdued.  But drooling has been really bad for nearly week.  Swallowing is very difficult.  Choking not an issue because the food does not get that far.
Friday morning he had his normal oatmeal, banana, juice, eggs, and bun. He could not eat his lunch or dinner. Saturday he ate 2 small pancakes and a little juice.  He normally would eat 4 large pancakes, a banana, and juice.   Again he could not eat or drink his lunch.
After lunch that he did not eat, we went shopping to purchase more patches for the tissue box holders.  He sat quietly the whole trip.  He did not want anything to drink.  I’ve been concerned about dehydration and now I was starting to really worry.  In the past two days I don’t think he drank 8 ounces of liquid.  But he was still losing all that fluid in his drool.    I know this has been playing on my nerves and my conscience… was I the cause – neglecting or missing something?
I have been giving him additional Ropinerole or Carbidopa/Levadopa a half hour before dinner hoping it takes effect before I serve the meal and he will be able to eat.  Lately that plan has not been working. Considering his state I decided to give him a larger dose, it could not/would not do any harm.  It took 45 minutes but finally it took hold.  He wriggled and danced in his wheelchair which I know he hates, but it signals the drug is working.  I got him to eat… and boy did he eat!  4 large eggs, sausage, potatoes, 3 pieces of cake, left over pie, soda, juice.  Made up for not eating all day, and part of day before. 
I guess we are back to a larger dose again until he gets maxed out with hallucinations, irritation, demands, confusion.  Might be only a few days, maybe a week and I’ll be cutting him back again.  At least I get a momentary reprieve from worry about dehydration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment